Tia Goss Sawhney is an actuary and public health expert who specializes in health insurance claims data analysis. She is the owner of Teus Health, LLC, a Newark, New Jersey-based consulting ﬁrm that she founded in 2019. Granite GRC partners with Tia and her Teus Health team to access and analyze data of any size or format. Tia also provides Granite GRC clients with her policy perspective, particularly for matters related to insurance, population health, and social justice.
Teus Health embodies Tia’s passion for producing methodical, documented, and well-presented analysis and has assembled the necessary infrastructure, information and analytical processes to empower their clients through health data analysis. This includes:
▪ A third-party assessed, cloud-based, HIPAA analytics environment that provides the privacy and security safeguards and the scalability needed for any analytics project
▪ The ability to run Medicare Advantage and other risk adjustment models and evaluate the impact of changes in the underlying data
▪ Multiple data use agreements with CMS that allow Teus Health to analyze Medicare fee-for-service LDS claims data and disseminate the analysis results
▪ A proprietary method for classifying health insurance claims (The Teus ClassiﬁerTM)
Tia is an adjunct associate professor at New York University’s School of Global Public Health, where she co-founded the Health Insurance Claims Data Lab. Prior to Teus Health, Tia had more than 15 years of experience as a consultant and insurance executive. She also served four years as an executive-level appointee in a state Medicaid agency. In her professional and volunteer roles she has worked on projects impacting state and federal policy. She is the author of several peer reviewed articles and numerous white papers and industry publications.
▪ University of Illinois at Chicago, School of Public Health, Doctor of Public Health (DrPH), 2012
▪ University of Pennsylvania, Fels Center of Government, Master of Government Administration (MGA), 1992
▪ University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Bachelor of Science in Economics (BSE), Finance Concentration, 1986
▪ State University of New York, Jefferson Community College Associate of Science (AS), Science, 1982
Fellow of Society of Actuaries Fellow (FSA), 1993
Member of American Academy of Actuaries Member (MAAA), 1990
Qualiﬁed to issue Statements of Actuarial Opinion concerning health insurance, ongoing-current Certiﬁed HIPAA Privacy Security Expert, 2020