We all dream of providing better healthcare to patients, while trimming costs, boosting revenues, and keeping regulators happy with our billing practices. But Crystal Stalter, Granite GRC’s Director of Revenue Cycle and Compliance, can actually make it happen.
She brings clients her unique background in helping companies adopt leading-edge technologies to improve patient care, streamline workflow, identify and address pain points, increase receivables, and ensure compliance. Crystal also has 20 years of experience in revenue cycle management, compliance, practice management, strategy, training, coding operations, communications, data analysis, and best practices in the healthcare industry.
Crystal is nationally recognized as an authority on the healthcare industry for best practices, medical coding, clinical documentation, natural language processes, and artificial intelligence (AI). She has written and presented for JustCoding, the Association of Clinical Documentation Integrity Specialists (ACDIS) CDI blog, the Georgia Health Information Management Association (GHIMA), and the ACDIS Outpatient Symposium.
- Oversee entirety of Revenue Cycle processes from coding to claim submission to payment posting of Telehealth services for a leading-edge provider of connected care experiences.
- Author, design, and develop all Revenue Cycle Department policies and procedures.
- Manage all activity performed by staff of practice management solution responsible for all claims submission and posting.
- Research, create, and schedule demos and side-by-side comparison of vendors for EMR replacement.
- Manage provider credentialing using PECOS, NPPES, and CAQH applications.
- Consult on the content, design, and application strategy for the Hierarchical Condition
- Categories (HCC) Management System.
- Develop training documents for the HCC Collaborate application, including Best Practice, Workflow and How To Train user guides.
- Deliver excellent customer support with relation to application issues/concerns, new feature/function requests and overall communications between these concerns and their adaption into the current application.
- Establish standards and guidelines and provide prioritization to application enhancements based on industry standards, and triage customer enhancement requests.
- Act as liaison to engineering for translation of industry guidelines to application functionality.
- Implement ticket creation/work orders for feature updates or enhancements to define scope of work.
- Expand sales support to include application demos for potential customers, discovery sessions, application training for the sales force, and guidelines for documentation and demos.
- Conduct VOC (voice of customer) interviews to gather knowledge of our customer focus and pain-points in effort to develop and enhance technology to support them in their daily workflows.
- Deliver training in person and via PowerPoint presentations related to coding and industry standard views of CDI and technology.
- Provide continued education to ensure teams can understand the needs of both an NLU (Natural Language Understanding) application and a CDI department.
- Deliver clinical documentation expertise with special focus on inpatient and outpatient CDI content and software deliverables. Provide ongoing education regarding latest industry regulations.
- Consult with sales teams on customer data analysis; provide subject matter expertise regarding Health Information Management (HIM) and CDI industry standards; facilitate the discovery process for both new and existing customers; and identify existing benchmarks and ways to improve them.
- Oversee coding operations for a large multistate anesthesia group and provide ICD-10-CM coding education for clients and coders Perform monthly QA on all coders, both off-shore and on-shore, to include assignment of correct CPT/ASA code combinations, ICD-9, ICD-10-CM, medical direction, physical status, PQRS, modifiers, etc.
- Offer feedback for the Accounts Receivables teams regarding denials and adjustments
- Implement coding education for teams, including state specific rules, such as time billing for labor epidurals and medical direction.
- Directed coding and compliance for a leader in revenue cycle consulting for HCPCS Level 1 and II, ICD-9, DRG and APC coding and reimbursement practices and training/education for clients regarding ICD-10-PCS and ICD-10-CM.
- Provide CDM charge master reviews for acute care hospitals, outpatient and multi specialty clinics, and physician practices.
- Conduct Physician Practice Management Audits and Blue Cross Recovery audits for acute care hospitals, and multispecialty and outpatient clinics.
Documentation and its Role in Value-Based Medicine. JustCoding, November 2018
Adjusting Documentation Efforts for Value-Based Medicine. JustCoding, November 2018
Exploring the Importance of Best Practices for EHRs, Coding Guidelines, and Queries. JustCoding Inpatient, November 2017
Examining Best Practices at Your Facility, JustCoding, September 2017
IPPS Final Rule: Prepare for 2018 ICD-10-PCS Code Updates. JustCoding Inpatient, September 2017
Communication: The Key to Fiscal Year 2018 Code Changes, JustCoding, August 2017
Natural Language Processing and its Effect on Coder. JustCoding, April 2017
Inpatient Coding and the Role of Documentation Software. JustCoding, February 2017
Expanding the CDI Focus to the Outpatient Arena. ACDIS CDI Blog, February 2017
Capturing HCCs – Using AI Technology to Streamline Your Workflow, Poster, ACDIS Outpatient Symposium, November 2018
Clinical Documentation in the Outpatient World, Expanding our Focus, GHIMA, October 2018
Real-time Strategies to Improve Clinical Documentation, ACDIS – Washington State Evergreen Chapter Meeting, November 2017
CDI and Natural Language Understanding, ACDIS – Washington State Evergreen Chapter Meeting, April 2017
American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC), Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), Certified Coding Specialist – Physician-based (CCS-P)
American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), Clinical Documentation Improvement Professional (CDIP)
Association of Clinical Documentation Integrity Specialists (ACDIS), Certified Clinical Documentation Specialist-Outpatient (CCDS-O)